Monday, July 29, 2013

Lynnwood Washington - 7/29/13

Elder Bahr is still doing great!  He said it has been sunny and hasn't rained too much...yet.

He wrote: 

I have been trying to send pictures, but I can't get anywhere to work.  I just purchased a new picture card, so I might send you the picture card that is in my camera now with all of the pictures on it from the MTC and what I have taken here so far. (This explains why we don't have any pictures to post).  My area is Lynnwood, Washington.  I am right by the I-5 that goes up into Canada.  Each day  I drive by the Lakeside/Lakeshore (can't remember what it is called) RV Park that we stayed at that one time. 

I am the designated driver.  My companion does not have a Driver's License.  When I got here, we had a 2013 Toyota Corolla.  Unfortunately, there was already some front end damage and then during the night, someone hit our car in the bumper.  So, we had to take the car back to the Mission Office so they could get it repaired.  Now, we have a 2010 Toyota Corolla. At least, the car drives and gets us to where we need to go.

The 21 lessons last week was a record for the incoming 35 missionaries President Bonham told me.  This week, my companion and I taught twelve lessons.  Saturday was the best day, though.  I had my first baptism after a week and a half in the field. 

One of our investigators, was baptized .  Her husband had been a member of the church for a while, but was a less active.  He was only ordained to the office of Teacher in the priesthood.  So, prior to the baptism, the bishop of our ward interviewed him and ordained him to the office of Priest so he could perform the baptism.  The baptism was a very spiritual experience.  The investigator's testimony was very strong and everyone that came knew that she was ready.  It is amazing how Heavenly Father prepares people to receive the Gospel.  That is why it is essential for missionaries to talk to anyone and everyone that they see. 

On Sunday, I had the opportunity to confirm her a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and confer upon her the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  Prior to the confirmation, I took President Lundquidst's advice.  I shut all thoughts regarding that out and did not take any prior ideas.  When I stood up and confirmed her, I spoke purely by the Spirit.  The words were there and I did not even have to think.  My mouth opened up and it was an amazing experience.  Even though I had never done it before and I was a little scared, I knew afterwards that the Spirit had directed my mouth and everything had gone well.  She thanked Elder Haupu and I after the blessing and was so excited to be a member of the church.  This week was a very exciting week in our area.  Now, it is on to finding more people to teach.  We have five investigators still, but we want to keep it up.
Unfortunately, we only were able to teach the couple who we gave the church tour to once.  One of them got sick, so we could only teach them on Tuesday.  But, they are progressing quickly and we are very proud of them.  We know that they will keep growing stronger and the illness was just a trial that Satan wanted to try to stop them. 

During a Church Tour, we show the investigator all of the major rooms and parts of the Church.  We explain what happens in each room and who meets in the rooms  At the end of the tour, we take the investigator into the Chapel and review the importance of the Sacrament and the Atonement.  While in the Chapel, we play a movie for them, usually the Restoration.  The movie brings the Spirit and allows them to feel of the Savior's love while in his house.  A lot of times taking a Church tour motivates people to come to church on Sunday.  (We asked him what the missionaries do during a church tour).

We have a list of around 35 Potential Investigators.  That means, that we have 35 people in the Area Book that have been contacted before and have indicated some interest in having us coming back.  We are planning to visit some of them this week while trying to find some other new ones.

Preparation Day is every Monday.  Each Monday, we have time to send e-mails, shop, wash clothes, clean the house, and do any other things that we cant do any other day of the week.  Once a month, we have District P-Day.  That means that we meet with the other companionships in the district and do an activity with them for two hours.  P-Day goes by very quickly in the end.
I probably wont meet anyone from the other missions in Washington.  (We asked if he would meet anyone from the other missions since his mission is small).  We are told to stay within Mission boundaries unless given permission.  Tomorrow, though, I have to take an Elder to the doctor in Seattle.  That is one time where I travel out of boundaries. 

"The Lord will bless you as you do your best."

Elder Bahr

No comments:

Post a Comment